Many of you know that Matt, Cade and I were hit by a drunk driver on 12-23-06. It was a horrible night that I will never forget. In the beginning I trusted that the courts would take care of the stupid drunk driver, but they have failed. I found out today that he did it again. To take you back, the drunk driver did not appear for his first arraignment on July 31, 2007. A warrant went out for his arrest and he was caught later trying to give a false ID. Arraignment was reset for November 15, 2007 and he actually showed up this time. There was supposed to be a pretrial April 7th of this year with a possible trial April 14th. Well, to no surprise he did not appear. I happened to check in on how things were going and found out that the stupid drunk driver is in jail in Tarrant County with charges of giving a false ID, theft, reckless driving and intoxicated assault. I am mad, heartbroken for the other person he hit, disappointed and just plain frustrated. I tried to stay on top of this, I wanted him off the streets. I had the opportunity to write a statement to the potential jury (if we ever go to court) after our wreck. This is my last paragraph:
No, no one was killed in our wreck. No one was permanently maimed or disabled. For all practical purposes, we walked away. But, the outcome doesn’t change the crime. Statistics show that Mr. Edwards will quite possibly make the same choice again if given the chance. So, let me leave you with this thought. Who will be cresting the hill next time? Will it be your family, and will they walk away?It's a shame that he did do it again and I don't know if the other person walked away........

3 comments:
how frustrating! there is something wrong with our system!
I am so sorry Tara. Just seeing those photos again bring tears to my eyes, and reminds me how thankful I am that your family was protected that night. God is faithful!
Tara,
I know the feeling I was hit by a drunk drive twice in the same night and it totaled her car, she was taken away in cuffs and she refused the breathe allizer test. We can only pray one day the laws will be stricter and license will be taken away from them permantely. Glad you are all ok but it is something you will never forget.
Post a Comment