Today at Mom's Day Out we had both 4 year old classes combined. I am a teacher in one of the classes and Cade is in the other class. We were having a great time celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday by making green eggs and ham. One of the other teachers was reading a book to the class while I made the eggs. Cade gets up out of his chair and comes over to me and says, "Mom, what happened to this ear?"
Excuse me.....what did he just say? Did he just ask that....right now.....in the middle of making green eggs? I've waited for that question for years and he really just asked me in the middle of class. I told Cade we would talk about it later and he bounced back to his chair seemingly fine. I was a little more in shock.
I wanted to take Cade right away and go talk to him, but I wanted to wait until all distractions were gone. So, tonight when I was tucking him in bed I crawled up next to him and told him about his ear. In a nutshell I told him that God made him that way and that he was so special to me. I reminded him that he can do everything that anyone else can and that he is just extra special. I told him that some people may ask questions or say mean things. We went over how to react to that and he seemed just fine. He even told me what he would say. I was so amazed with Cade's reaction. He was totally ok. He didn't seem bothered or upset....not one bit. His next question was, "Can we talk about sports now?"
Wow. That is a conversation I have thought about so many times. I have thought of all the different ways that Cade would handle it and this really was the best. Thank you God for giving Cade such a wonderful attitude about his ear. I pray that he always feels that way.
1 comment:
He is so blessed to have parents like you and Matt who build him up so much that he's confident and ready to face the possibly mean world. Love that guy! (and you!)
Post a Comment