When we were leaving after that disappointing 9th inning I happened to get behind a gentleman with a small ear. I tapped on his shoulder and asked him if he had microtia. He didn't quite hear me right and looked confused. I said your ear, I noticed it was smaller. I then pointed to Cade and showed him his ear. The man was very nice and said he had always wanted to meet someone with a little ear like his. He was from Europe so he joked that he had to come all the way to America to meet someone. You see, the night before had been really rough for me. I haven't had one of those nights where I lay in bed unable to fall asleep for hours in a long time, but I did that night. For some reason all I could think about was bad thoughts and one of those was Cade's ear. I don't know, it just kind of hit me. Really ever since Cade's testing last week at Texas Children's it's been on my mind. While I was in the waiting room a lady leaned over to me and asked, "Can he hear out of that ear?" This is only the second person in public to ever mention anything about the ear. The first was a photographer at JC Penney's. I told her he had some hearing and her remark was, "I noticed he turns his head to listen to you"....uughhh. I had been told to watch for that, but hadn't noticed it myself. How do you respond? I just forced a smile and a fake, "yeah". So that night in bed I just kept replaying that and thinking about the future. What will it be like when Cade goes to school and people start saying things to him? Will he be accepted the same? What about his speech? Will he have a hard time dating? What about his safety while he is outside playing? What about driving? Then my thinking turned to surgery. Should we fix the ear? Would it really help? Is that going to make it look worse? Will that help him hear better? I just wanted to go to sleep and here I am tossing and turning feeling worse and worse. Fast forward not even 24 hours later and here I am meeting someone with a little ear. I had never physically met anyone who had a little ear like Cade's. Now, this gentleman's ear wasn't quite as bad as Cade's. When he was born there was an opening and they had tried to construct more of an ear on the outside and did something else to help with hearing. He said he couldn't hear out of it. His wife chimed in and told me how talented he was musically. She said he has great pitch! You could tell she was so proud of him. I wish I could have sat there and talked to him for so much longer. I wish I could have known how his childhood was and what challenges he faces daily. I just am thankful that I was able to meet him. God knew that I needed that. I was left wanting more....more comfort....more guidance. That is just where I have to lean on God. He is my provider.
the cousins
Cade 2 yrs, Madison 8yrs, Zach 1 yr (on Saturday!!!) and Reid 5 months (today!!)
Mom and Dad
6 comments:
I have tears in my eyes just thinking about how God is so good to us mommies with special kiddos. The worries we have stem from our desire to protect our little ones, however sometimes those worries can overshadow our joy. I love how The Lord gives us little (or big) moments of encouragement when we need it most.
God is so good..isn't he? He watches out for us in small ways and big ways. I have chills just thinking about what he showed you. That man had a wife and had musical talent. God is going to take care of Cade, and he already has by making him such a fun, sweet and outgoing child.He has big plans for Cade! Thanks for being real Tara.
I am proud of you for seeking that man out despite the chance that he might have been embarrassed. Wasn't it worth the risk?
Cade will be one of those miracles someday, if not already!
I love the cousin picture! If only everyone could see the 100 pictures you took to get that one!
I am so proud that you recognized that God sent you this man, and you reached out to him. I know you wanted to know how his childhood was, but I think God just wanted to show you the end result. God is with Cade now and will always be. I know that whatever trials and tribulations we have in life can only bring us closer to Him. Cade is such an awesome boy, and God has some special plans for him.
The thing that I see that you may not is that God has blessed Cade with two of the best parents possible. With God's guidance and your upbringing Cade will excel in everything he does ~ no doubt.
I too have tears in my eyes. What a touching story. Love you!
Post a Comment